Affiliate Marketing is a great way to make extra money from your Airbnb, VRBO, STR, or rental property.
Think of all the amenities guests interact with in your home. You are essentially recommending each of them. If a guest likes the amenity and decides to buy one, wouldn’t you love to get paid a commission on their purchase?
Imagine a guest stays at your home and falls in love with your luxury water ionizer. In your house binder, you have a list of all your amenities and links for guests to purchase one for themselves. If they buy an ionizer through your link, you could potentially earn $1,000+ in commission.
While affiliate marketing is traditionally done online and tracked through affiliate links, there is untapped potential for vacation rental owners to create passive income with affiliate marketing for Airbnb. However, you want to tread lightly — it’s a delicate line between providing a world-class guest experience and promoting affiliate marketing products in your Airbnb business.
In this article, we will dive into the basics of Affiliate Marketing for Airbnb Hosts. We will discuss all the ways to get started, how to make sales without being salesy, potential pitfalls of this business model, and how to incorporate your offers on social media to open up even more secondary income streams.
What is Affiliate Marketing?
Here’s how it works: when you sign up for an affiliate program with a company, they provide you with a unique tracking link. This link is your affiliate link, and it’s how the company tracks sales or actions generated through your efforts. As an Airbnb host, you’ll strategically place these affiliate links in your Airbnb listing, website, or social media platforms.
When your guests or online followers click on these links and make a purchase or perform a specific action (like buying a product or signing up for a service), you earn a commission. This commission can be a percentage of the sale amount or a fixed fee, depending on the terms of the affiliate program.
One of the most appealing aspects of affiliate marketing for Airbnb is its flexibility. You’re not responsible for product creation, customer service, or inventory management. Your role is to bridge the gap between the best Airbnb amenities and your audience, sharing products or services you genuinely believe will enhance their experience.
Create Secondary Income Streams With Affiliate Marketing for Airbnb Owners
Affiliate marketing for Airbnb allows you to transform your property into more than just a place to stay – it becomes a curated experience. By recommending products and services that align with your property’s theme, you’re offering added value to your guests. For instance, if you have a cozy cabin in a scenic location, you could promote affiliate links for outdoor gear, hiking guides, or even local artisanal products.
The heart of successful affiliate marketing for Airbnb lies in authenticity and trust.
Your guests trust your recommendations and insights about the area. Therefore, the products or services you promote should genuinely resonate with your property’s ambiance and the interests of your guests.
Remember, affiliate marketing is not about turning your Airbnb into a showroom. Instead, it’s an opportunity to elevate your guests’ experience while generating an additional income stream. The key is finding the right balance – recommending products that genuinely enhance the stay without overwhelming the guest.
Now that you have a solid understanding of what affiliate marketing for Airbnb is, let’s delve into the exciting possibilities of how you can monetize your Airbnb property and create passive income through this innovative strategy.
How to Do Affiliate Marketing Without Annoying Your Guests
Integrating affiliate marketing offers into your Airbnb property without coming across as salesy and without transforming it into a commercial space requires finesse and a focus on enhancing the guest experience. The key lies in subtlety, authenticity, and the genuine desire to add value to your guests’ stay.
Align with Your Theme:
First and foremost, select affiliate offers that seamlessly align with the theme and ambiance of your Airbnb. Whether you’re offering a cozy cottage, a chic urban apartment, or a luxurious beachfront villa, the products or services you promote with affiliate marketing for Airbnb should naturally complement the experience you’re offering.
Think Enhancement, Not Sales Pitch:
Your goal is not to bombard your guests with product promotions, but rather to enhance their stay. Let’s say your Airbnb is a charming countryside cottage. Instead of overwhelming your guests with an array of affiliate links, consider a carefully curated guidebook in physical or digital form. This guidebook could recommend local farms for fresh produce, nearby hiking trails, or quaint antique shops – all subtly tied to affiliate partnerships.
Craft Engaging Descriptions:
When incorporating affiliate offers into your Airbnb listing or communications, focus on storytelling. Paint a vivid picture of how these products or services can elevate your guests’ experience. For instance, if your property boasts a panoramic view, you might subtly mention a local winery that offers sunset tasting sessions, enhancing the beauty of the vista.
Integrate in a Value-Added Context:
Instead of simply listing affiliate offers, present them within a broader context of value. If your Airbnb is a tropical paradise, you could include a section in your guest welcome packet or online guide about staying sun-safe. Within this section, recommend sunscreen brands through your affiliate links, emphasizing how they contribute to a comfortable and enjoyable vacation.
Your guests will appreciate your honesty. Clearly disclose that you’re utilizing affiliate links and that you may earn a commission from any resulting purchases. This transparency enhances trust and ensures that your guests are comfortable engaging with the offers you present.
Curate the Experience:
Consider creating a personalized experience for your guests. If your Airbnb is by the ocean, you could partner with a local snorkeling tour company. When guests book your property, offer them an exclusive discount code for the tour through your affiliate link. This way, you’re not only adding value but also creating a memorable, tailor-made experience.
Use Soft Calls-to-Action:
Rather than using strong sales language, use soft calls-to-action that encourage guests to explore further. For example, instead of “Buy Now,” opt for “Discover More” or “Learn About This Experience.”
Prioritize Guest Experience:
Above all, your focus should remain on providing an exceptional guest experience. If a particular affiliate offer doesn’t genuinely contribute to that experience, it’s best to reconsider its inclusion.
Incorporating affiliate marketing offers into your Airbnb property requires a delicate balance between subtly promoting products and focusing on guest satisfaction. By staying true to your property’s essence, authentically integrating offers that elevate the stay, and always keeping the guest experience at the forefront, you’ll create an environment that’s both enjoyable for your guests and beneficial for your affiliate marketing endeavors.
Popular Affiliate Marketing Products and Offers for Airbnb Owners
As an Airbnb host, selecting the right affiliate marketing products and offers can significantly enhance your guests’ experience while providing you with an additional income stream. The key is to choose products and services that seamlessly align with your property’s theme and your guests’ needs. Here are some popular affiliate marketing for Airbnb options to consider:
Local Experiences and Activities:
Partnering with local experience providers can be a game-changer. Depending on your Airbnb’s location, you could promote affiliate offers for:
- Tours and Activities: Collaborate with local tour operators offering city tours, cultural experiences, outdoor adventures, or historical walks. For instance, if your Airbnb is in a scenic area, affiliate with hiking or biking tour companies.
- Restaurants and Cafes: Recommend nearby eateries that provide unique culinary experiences. Guests might appreciate special discounts or offers at these establishments.
Home Improvement and Décor:
Enhancing your property’s aesthetics and functionality can be appealing to guests. Consider affiliating with:
- Furniture and Decor Brands: Recommend furniture, decor, or interior design brands that align with your Airbnb’s style. This could include cozy blankets, electric fireplaces, stylish lamps, kitchen cabinets, or unique wall art.
- Smart Home Gadgets: Offer guests modern conveniences by affiliating with smart home gadget brands. Examples include smart locks, thermostats, or voice assistants.
Travel Gear and Essentials:
Help your guests prepare for their travels by offering affiliate links to essential travel products:
- Luggage and Travel Accessories: Recommend durable luggage, packing cubes, travel adapters, and other accessories that enhance their journey.
- Beach or Adventure Gear: If your property is near a beach, consider affiliating with swimwear, sun protection, or beach gear brands. For adventure destinations, hiking gear or camping essentials could be attractive.
Local Services and Convenience:
Think about services that can elevate your guests’ experience and make their stay more convenient:
- Transportation Services: Partner with local car rental companies or transportation services for hassle-free commuting.
- Grocery Delivery: Affiliating with grocery delivery services can help guests stock up on essentials without leaving your Airbnb.
Sustainability and Wellness:
Consider products that promote sustainability and well-being:
- Eco-Friendly Brands: If your Airbnb focuses on sustainability, affiliate with eco-friendly product brands, such as reusable water bottles, biodegradable toiletries, or energy-efficient appliances.
- Wellness and Spa Products: Enhance relaxation by recommending wellness products like essential oils, spa kits, or yoga accessories.
Remember, the key is to curate a selection of products and offers that enhance your guests’ stay without overwhelming them. Balance is crucial – you want your guests to feel that these offerings genuinely contribute to their experience rather than turning your Airbnb into a store.
When promoting these products, weave them into your communications subtly. For instance, if you’re affiliating with a local tour company, mention it as part of your recommendations for things to do in the area. Always disclose your affiliate partnerships transparently, so your guests understand the context.
By selecting the right affiliate marketing products and offers, you’re not only increasing your potential income but also providing your guests with an elevated, memorable experience that goes beyond simple accommodation.
Benefits and Risks of Airbnb Affiliate Marketing
Incorporating affiliate marketing into your Airbnb hosting strategy can bring a range of benefits and opportunities. However, it’s essential to be aware of potential risks and challenges as well. Here’s a comprehensive look at both sides:
Benefits of Affiliate Marketing for Airbnb
- Additional Income Stream: Affiliate marketing for Airbnb provides a supplementary source of income that can enhance your overall earnings from your Airbnb property.
- Enhanced Guest Experience: By recommending relevant products and services, you’re adding value to your guests’ stay, making it more memorable and enjoyable.
- Differentiation from Competitors: Incorporating affiliate marketing can set your Airbnb apart from others in the area. Your personalized recommendations and curated experiences can attract guests seeking unique stays.
- Guest Reviews and Loyalty: When guests have a positive experience due to your recommended products and services, they’re more likely to leave positive reviews and return for future stays.
- Knowledge Expansion: Researching affiliate products and understanding guest preferences can broaden your knowledge of local attractions and services, making you a better-informed host.
Risks of Affiliate Marketing for Airbnb
- Perception of Commercialization: There’s a fine line between enhancing guest experience and coming across as too commercial. If not executed thoughtfully, your Airbnb could be perceived as more of a showroom than a cozy home.
- Guest Discomfort: If affiliate links are presented too aggressively, guests might feel uncomfortable, leading to a negative impression of their stay.
- Ethical Considerations: Always ensure that the products and services you’re affiliating with are of high quality and genuinely beneficial to guests. Promoting subpar or irrelevant offerings can harm your reputation.
- Legal Obligations: Different regions have varying regulations regarding affiliate marketing, such as disclosure requirements. Ensure you understand and comply with legal obligations.
- Monitoring and Maintenance: Managing affiliate partnerships requires ongoing attention. You need to regularly assess the performance of your affiliate links, update content, and ensure that the recommended products remain relevant.
- Potential Conflicts of Interest: If you’re affiliating with businesses that are directly linked to your personal interests, it could raise questions about objectivity and transparency.
To reap the benefits of affiliate marketing for Airbnb while minimizing potential risks, follow these strategies:
- Transparency: Always disclose your affiliate relationships to your guests. Honesty fosters trust and ensures that your guests understand your intentions.
- Relevance: Only promote products and services that genuinely align with your Airbnb’s theme and guest preferences. Ensure they enhance the guest experience.
- Subtlety: Integrate affiliate links naturally, focusing on storytelling rather than a hard sales approach. Subtle recommendations are more likely to resonate with guests.
- Guest-Centric Approach: Prioritize your guests’ comfort and experience. If you sense that affiliate marketing is detracting from their stay, reconsider your strategy.
- Regular Review: Periodically review the performance of your affiliate links. Are they contributing positively? Are there any negative guest reactions? Use data to refine your approach.
In conclusion, affiliate marketing for Airbnb can be a valuable addition to your hosting toolkit. By balancing its benefits with a cautious approach to potential risks, you can create a harmonious environment where guests enjoy added value, and you generate extra income, all while maintaining the integrity of your Airbnb property.
How Much Money Can I Make From Airbnb Affiliate Marketing?
While some hosts report earning a few hundred to a few thousand dollars per month from affiliate marketing for Airbnb, it’s essential to approach it as a supplemental income stream rather than a primary revenue source. As you gather data and insights about your audience’s preferences, you can refine your strategy to optimize your income potential.
Remember, Airbnb affiliate marketing’s income potential is interconnected with the value you provide to your guests. By genuinely enhancing their experience and offering products or services that resonate, you’ll not only earn commissions but also create a more fulfilling and memorable stay for your guests.
Below are a collection of factors that can influence how much money you make incorporating affliate marketing offers into your Airbnb, VRBO, STR, or rental property:
Property Location and Appeal:
The location and appeal of your property play a significant role in determining your Airbnb affiliate marketing income. Properties in popular tourist destinations or unique settings tend to attract more guests, leading to increased exposure for your affiliate recommendations.
Guest Engagement and Interest:
The engagement level of your guests with your affiliate recommendations directly impacts your income potential. If your affiliate offerings resonate with your guests’ interests, they’re more likely to click on your links and make purchases.
Affiliate Program Selection:
The affiliate programs you choose can greatly affect your income. Some programs offer higher commission rates than others. Additionally, the popularity and relevance of the products or services within your chosen programs also influence the likelihood of conversions.
Guest Volume and Stay Length:
The number of guests you host and the length of their stays directly impact your affiliate earnings. More guests mean more potential clicks and conversions, and longer stays provide more opportunities for guests to explore your recommendations.
Consistently monitoring and optimizing your affiliate marketing for Airbnb strategy based on the performance data can enhance your income over time. Identifying what works best for your audience and refining your approach accordingly is crucial.
Seasonal and Trend Factors:
Certain seasons and trends can influence guest behavior and interests. For example, if your property is in a ski resort area, winter months might lead to higher affiliate earnings for winter sports-related products.
Multiple Affiliate Partnerships:
Diversifying your affiliate partnerships by promoting a range of products and services can contribute to a more stable and potentially higher income stream. However, ensure that your recommendations remain relevant and beneficial to your guests.
Guest Reviews and Repeat Business:
Positive guest experiences driven by your affiliate recommendations can lead to glowing reviews, repeat business, and referrals, indirectly boosting your affiliate income potential.
How to Find Affiliate Marketing Offers For Your Airbnb, VRBO, or STR
When it comes to finding suitable affiliate marketing offers for your Airbnb property, there are several platforms you can explore. Each platform has its own set of benefits and considerations. Let’s take a closer look at some popular affiliate marketing platforms and their pros and cons:
Link: Amazon Associates
Pros: Amazon Associates is incredibly versatile, offering a vast range of products that can align with almost any type of Airbnb property. It’s a well-known and trusted platform, which can enhance guest confidence in the products you recommend.
Cons: Commission rates can be relatively low, and cookie durations (the time frame within which you can earn a commission after a click) tend to be shorter than other platforms. Additionally, the competitive nature of Amazon’s marketplace might make it challenging to stand out.
Pros: ShareASale is known for its diverse range of affiliate programs across various niches. You can find partners that closely match your Airbnb’s theme and appeal to your guests.
Cons: Some affiliate programs on ShareASale might have specific eligibility criteria or requirements, making it important to carefully read through the terms before joining.
CJ Affiliate (formerly Commission Junction):
Link: CJ Affiliate
Pros: CJ Affiliate offers access to a wide variety of well-established brands and companies, making it a platform with high-quality products and potentially higher commission rates.
Cons: Similar to ShareASale, some programs on CJ Affiliate might have specific prerequisites, so it’s crucial to research and understand the terms.
Local Affiliate Programs:
Pros: Exploring local affiliate programs can be beneficial, especially if your Airbnb is situated in a specific region. You can partner with local businesses, attractions, or services that resonate with your guests.
Cons: Local affiliate programs might have limited product offerings, and it might take some effort to identify and establish partnerships with relevant local businesses.
Niche Affiliate Networks:
Pros: Depending on your Airbnb’s niche, you might find specialized affiliate networks tailored to your industry. For instance, if your property is focused on eco-tourism, you could explore eco-friendly product affiliate networks.
Cons: Niche networks might have a narrower selection of products, limiting your options.
Tips for Success:
- Research each platform thoroughly to understand the range of products and commission structures they offer.
- Prioritize products that align with your Airbnb’s theme and cater to your guests’ preferences.
- Read the terms and conditions of each affiliate program to ensure you meet their requirements and understand their commission rates.
- Focus on partnerships that resonate with your guests and provide genuine value, rather than simply aiming for high commissions.
- Regularly evaluate the performance of your affiliate links and adjust your strategy as needed.
By exploring these affiliate marketing platforms, you can discover a variety of products and services that seamlessly integrate with your Airbnb property, enhancing the guest experience while adding a potential new revenue stream to your hosting efforts.
Get Advice From an Affiliate Marketing Expert
By now, your head is probably swimming with ideas of how to create secondary income streams doing Affiliate Marketing for Airbnb, VRBO, STR, or rental properties. You probably have a lot of questions too.
The next step is to schedule a free clarity call with Greg Goodman (the creator of this site) to chat about what’s possible. With decades of experience helping entrepreneurs grow their businesses and make more money, Greg is always happy to share his expertise.